domenica 27 febbraio 2011

Cultural Adventuring

OK, this will just be a short post because not a whole lots has happened between San Gimi-jays and now, but last night the school took us the the opera in Florence! The show was Manon Lescaut, composed by Pucicni. There was, of course, lots of deception and loud singing in old Italian and Manon died in the end. It was a fun cultural experience, but I think opera is the kind of thing you have to ease into, since it was about 3 hours total, which is very long to sit and listen if you're new to opera.
Other than that, it's been nice out lately but today is rainy and gloomy. I've heard it's snowing in Portland, and everyone is all excited about it, but I'm not too sad to be missing snow. It sounds cold. Plus I got my share of snow in the Alps, which, if you ask me, is WAY cooler. Every now and then I think about what I might be missing back on campus, but then I think: Hey wait, I'm in Italy! This is way better!
There are some silly little thing I miss about the states, though, things that I never would have thought about while I was living there. Like sauce on sandwiches. Y'all already know how I feel about Tuscan bread, and the sandwiches suck. They're literally just sucky bread and a thin slice of meat or two. Dry. Very dry. Mi non piace.
Also, to go cups. While it's nice to sit and drink coffee and relax and enjoy in a cafe, which we do often, I can't deny the American in me. Sometimes it's nice to multitask and take coffee to go. And bagels. They have never heard of bagels here. I actually had a dream about going to the grocery store and buying bagels. Mmmmm... Oh, and raw vegetables. We get plenty of veggies with dinner at home, but they are all cooked to death. Those of you who know me well know how I love raw vegetables. I couple times I've gone to the store and bought some to snack on, but it has to be a clandestine mission, since implying that I'm not being fed enough (which is not true) would be rather offensive.
And of course, there are lots of things I'll miss about here but I'll be happy to return to these small things after all my time abroad.

1 commento:

  1. My poor bunny girl. Even when you were 1 and sat in the grocery cart seat you were a raw veggie fiend. In the produce aisle you'd grab the tops of the celery and carrots! I had to be sure and park the cart far enough so you couldn't reach. When you got older, you would always help shop by selecting the rutabaga, jicama, peas in pod.....

    RispondiElimina