venerdì 6 maggio 2011

Let's See...


Since I last updated I've been to Prague and Krakow, Poland. Actually, I'm still in Krakow, until tomorrow when I'm flying to Muncih (eurail pass doesn't work in Poland).
So Prague was nice, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. It might have been the cold, rainy weather or the fact that I was gettin sick at the end, but I think it's one of those cities you have to spend more than a couple days in, you know, let it sink in more. I did really like seeing the Spanish Synagogue, though, it was gorgeous. We saw the bridge and the castle, of course, but other that that we didn't do w huge amount of other stuff. Again, partially the weather, but also, there really didn't seem to be as much sight seeing stuff there as in Budapest, or at least as much that we were interested in. And like I said, the last night I wasn't feeling  quite right, and I think I had a fever the next day. Alexa and I took it easy and mostly hung out in the hostel and tried to rest before our night train to Krakow (which turned out to be one of the most uncomfortable trains). Anyways, when we got to Krakow I was still a bit sick and Alexa wasn't feeling perfect either, plus night trains are always exhausting, so we spend the better part of the day sleeping and recovering, but eventually rallied to go see the Jewish area and then market square. They really like Pope John Paul II here, they had poster and things of him everywhere. The next day,  we had made a reservation through the hostel to go see Aushwitz-Berkenau, which was the main reason we came, and the tour was supposed to pick us up at the hostel at noon, but no one came. We asked the hostel and they called the company and apparently there was a glich in the system and the reservation was lost. At first it was looking like we might not get to go at all, and Alexa and I were REALLY REALLY mad, but the manager of the hostel got the company to have another driver come pick us up and take us on a private tour, and the hostel paid the difference! So that worked out, and our tour guide was really nice.
Going to the concentration camps was surreal.  I guess its one of those placed I never really thought I'd actually see. They were so eerily calm, and especially Berkenau, the area itself was beautiful and quiet, and almost pleasant even, which made it all the more creepy. I'm really glad I had a chance to go, although it was so odd to actually be there.


Then today, Alexa had a flight to Munich, but since I didn't know I needed to book till later, the flight she was on had gone up astronomically in price, so I booked a waaaaay cheaper one for the day after and found an airport hotel for the night. This was also an appealing plan because it gave me a chance to recover from being sick in NOT a hostel, and it's pretty relaxing. A bit strange for me to be in a hotel alone, but I suppose I should get used to traveling alone since I'll be doing more of it in London and Paris next week. Anyways, so now I'm here and planning on getting lots of sleep tonight!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento