sabato 29 gennaio 2011

My Host Family Noticed My Italian Improved!

I'm going to try to keep this brief because I'm waking up SUPER early tomorrow morning to go to Pisa! Long story short, we went to get train tickets for 9 am tomorrow morning and ended up with bus tickets for 7am. Oh Italia. Allora. 

Me and the Duomo,

Anyways, today we had school, or course, but after lunch instead of learning grammar we got to go to a museum! One of the many in Siena, this is called Santa Maria Della Scala. It was actually a functioning hospital until fairly recently (one of the program directors was born in it), but the art is incredible. It has frescos, grand cathederal-esque rooms (i'm not sure what the actual correct term would be, but essential church rooms), and if you go way downstairs you get to an archeological site-turned-museum. My favortite was definately the frescoes though, most of which I believe are parts of the story of the hospital.
The Fresco!
The one I liked the best was called "Il pontefice Celestino III concede privilegi di autonomia all'ospedale," which translates to Celestino III gives the hospital autonomic privileges.


I don't really know the history beyond the title, and don't have the energy to look into to it now, but hopefully I will soon.
Simon and Rachel being awesome tourists in front of the museum
After that the rest of the day was basically what's becoming routine; coffee with friends, home for dinner, out on the town after. Again, I have to get up early so I'm not going to go into detail, but I had a fun time!
Our after school feast

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento